Founded on May 15th, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia, Alpha Delta Pi holds the distinction of being the first secret society for women and the mother of today's sorority system. We were founded on the principles of scholarship, leadership, service, and sisterhood. These principles still guide the policies and programs of the sorority today.
To date, Alpha Delta Pi has initiated more than 220,000 women, many of whom are actively involved in one of our 155 collegiate chapter or 150 alumnae associations throughout the United States and Canada. For more information, please visit our International website.
In 1920, a group of girls banded together in a small social club devoted to charity and scholastic work. At first calling themselves the Merry Maids, they changed their name to the more dignified, Iota Kappa Society later that year.
In 1923, the sorority purchased its first house on UCLA's original campus on Vermont Street. On March 26th, 1925, Iota Kappa was granted a charter by the national sorority of Alpha Delta Pi. On April 25th, 1925, Iota Kappa was officially installed as Alpha Delta Pi's 46th Chapter: Alpha Chi.